Na’il’s memorial service was held in the Ilanot School on Sunday March 15, 2009.
"Na’il ~
I remember the first time I met you, 1 ½ years ago. That was on the first day of the new
school year. At first I was worried and startled by you. I resolved to be your teacher and to love you. Very soon, I got to know the person you are, your special charm, and got to love you. It was a special challenge to teach you – your progress was constant, and I never knew what next you would be able to learn.
You added joy to the class and your naughtiness and your pleasure and you always surprised us with your creativity. You find things in school that gave you pleasure, things to enjoy, like e.g. a walker, the big saucer, an electric toothbrush, even ‘eating’ joysticks! You found amazing ways to get where and what you wanted; in a special and creative way.
It’s so difficult to image you’re no longer with us, for you were a child full of life, full of action and vitality.
I love you and miss you!
Ronit, your teacher during the last year of your life at the Ilanot school.
It was very touching and special.
We first went to his class, where the teacher, who was on maternity leave, but came especially for this occasion, read about a booklet they made in honour of their class-mate. The children, each in their own special way, expressed their sorrow about the loss of their friend. They had
taken it very hard when Na’il was so suddenly taken from them, and only now began to find their bearings. The staff decided it was better for them not to participate in the rest of the program, and we felt privileged to have this time together with them, and in a way also say goodbye to these special children.
After Noah, the head mistress, explained to the children why Wim and I were with them in the class, Ronit read what she had written.
We first went to his class, where the teacher, who was on maternity leave, but came especially for this occasion, read about a booklet they made in honour of their class-mate. The children, each in their own special way, expressed their sorrow about the loss of their friend. They had
taken it very hard when Na’il was so suddenly taken from them, and only now began to find their bearings. The staff decided it was better for them not to participate in the rest of the program, and we felt privileged to have this time together with them, and in a way also say goodbye to these special children.After Noah, the head mistress, explained to the children why Wim and I were with them in the class, Ronit read what she had written.
Following is the translation from Hebrew.
"Na’il ~
I remember the first time I met you, 1 ½ years ago. That was on the first day of the new
school year. At first I was worried and startled by you. I resolved to be your teacher and to love you. Very soon, I got to know the person you are, your special charm, and got to love you. It was a special challenge to teach you – your progress was constant, and I never knew what next you would be able to learn.You added joy to the class and your naughtiness and your pleasure and you always surprised us with your creativity. You find things in school that gave you pleasure, things to enjoy, like e.g. a walker, the big saucer, an electric toothbrush, even ‘eating’ joysticks! You found amazing ways to get where and what you wanted; in a special and creative way.
It’s so difficult to image you’re no longer with us, for you were a child full of life, full of action and vitality.
I love you and miss you!
Ronit, your teacher during the last year of your life at the Ilanot school.

We brought some small gifts for the class-mates to remember Na'il by, from which they could chose. It brought some joy to their day.
It was time to go downstairs, for the the real ceremony to begin.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.